Travel blog 

Canada introduces new entry requirement (eTA) for visa-exempt travellers

Canada introduces new entry requirement (eTA) for all travellers who do not require a Canadian Visa to enter Canada

Canada introduces a mandatory new entry requirement called Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) for all travellers who don’t require a Canadian Visa to enter Canada. This does not include American citizens and permit residents of Canada.

“Starting November 10, 2016, visa-exempt travellers will need an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to board their flight to Canada,” the government said in a statement.

The Canadian government also said that: “Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, will need a valid Canadian passport to fly to or transit through Canada.”

Citizens of the United States are exempted but other foreign nationals, including those passing through on a stopover or doing a transit, must fill out an online eTA in advance of their trip and pay an administrative fee of Can$7 (US$5.29).

The government of Canada also advises that the only website to apply for eTA is this is the only official Government of Canada website where to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization eTA.

After completing the online form, permission to travel to Canada will be sent by email and will remain in effect for five years.

The regulation had been due to take effect in March, but a leniency period was granted due to technical glitches, then extended to give travellers more time to prepare for the changes.

Related posts

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: